The club has a long and diverse history and has been fortunate that materials have been provided to the club for publish on the website.If anyone has some information that they want to add then please contact us at email@example.com
The club has began to publish historic LMC journals which can be found on the Journals page.
A project is underway to compile profiles of early members and can be found on the profiles page.
1932 - Club Founded. Footage of the LMC skiing at Glencoe is available here.
Early Forays of the club included climbing in the Arrochar Alps
As many club members are serving overseas, the club begins a journal in 1944 to allow members to keep in touch and record mountaineering outings. The club has provided these on the website for public access.
1940's club logo
1946 - Tommy McGuinness establishes first HVS (current grading) on Ben Nevis: Shackle Route:
Tommy McGuiness and the Shackle Route
1970 - LMC are one of the 21 founding members of what is now the MCofS (Mountaineering Scotland)
1973 - Peter Scott killed in a motorcycle accident on way home from evening cragging on the Whangie. Tribute here.
The Manse Barn acquired and converted into a mountaineering hut by a band of dedicated club members including: - Ken Johnstone - Willie Johnstone - and more…………
1978 - Ken Johnstone and Pete Ogden make first ascent of Spacewalk on Aonach Dubh.
1980 - Ken Johnston and 'Cubby' Cuthbertson climb 3 new E5 routes on the Cobbler.
1989 - Gordon Longmuir and Graham McGill make an attempt on the Eiger North Face. Read about it here.
On the Hinterstoisser Traverse
The Manse Barn 21 year lease ends, after a further 5 year lease is signed and terminated, a new landlord verbally agrees to keep the hut for use of the LMC.
2014 - Club sadly loses the Manse Barn. Hunt for new hut goes on..
2018 - The annual club ceilidh re-unites climbers from the post war era and the 'Lomond Tigers' with current members.
Lomond Tigers: Garman, Eccles andAnderson in fifties 'helmets'.